Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tis the Season




My Charlie Brown Christmas Tree!!
Well it's that holiday season and believe it or not, Christmas has made its way over to China!! I was in Wal-Mart last week and there was a huge Christmas display right at the front complete with trees, ornaments, and Santa costumes. Christmas music was playing all throughout the store (and not the horrid songs like Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree) but the good stuff like God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen and Silent Night. I almost couldn't believe my ears. On Sunday, Dee brought me a Christmas Tree and Don and Karen gave me some garland for decoration. It is nice to still be able to experience a little holiday cheer but not be bombarded with all the commercialization that exists in the States. Our school is allowing us to take the 25th and 26th off to celebrate Christmas if we choose. I am hoping that my dad will figure out how to get me hooked up to a live broadcast of our Christmas Eve service since it will be noon on Christmas Day here. Isn't modern technology great!!

Last Saturday we had a school dance for all the freshmen. I told all my students that I would be there and they all said they were eager to see me dance (for those of you who have seen me dance you know it is quite interesting)! This dance was very different from what college dances are in the West. All the music was from various time periods and we got to do the waltz, the jive, and the cha-cha. I got to dance with a couple of students and one of the other foreign teachers who is an excellent ballroom dancer. I think his toes must have been quite sore because I kept stepping on them. The whole time we were dancing I kept saying, " Oh sorry. Oh sorry again." The students were fascinated when they would see me dancing and it reminded me of how I felt any time I saw my teachers doing non-teacher activities. They suddenly realize, "Oh yeah, she's a real person and doesn't live under the desk in the classroom." It was also fun for me to see them outside of the classroom and in a different environment.
It is hard to believe that there are only 6 more weeks in this semester. I guess it really is true that time flies when you're having fun! Our CEO has already asked teachers to make a decision about whether they will stay on for next school year. Please pray with me as I make this decision. I am fairly certain that I will renew my contract, but I want to be sure that staying here is what the Lord is leading me to do.
Happy Holidays to all!!

No comments: