Monday, September 18, 2006

New Adventures!

Yummy fish eyes!!











"I'm not too sure about this!"











Well I know the question burning in everyone's mind right now is "How was your first day of teaching?" Fabulous! But first things first.
Last week was fairly slow and was the last chance at relaxing and being a couch potato that I will have for a very long time. On Friday, the other members of my China team gathered together in Nanning. There were 14 of us total and we had a busy weekend filled with both business meetings as well as times of sharing how God is at work in various places throughout the country. It was so great finally being able to put faces and personalities with the names I have seen in emails. The most touching and memorable time during the weekend was Friday afternoon. We spent several hours listening to each person share what God has done in their life over the past several months and then spent time in prayer for that person. It gave me a chance to hear about each person's ministry as well as know specific ways I can be praying for them.
On Sunday after church, we went out to eat to a restaurant with private dining rooms where we met with the pastors from the 2 churches in Nanning. I ate all sorts of new food, including the fish eyes that are probably grossing some of you out by looking at the pictures! They actually weren't all that bad. They were somewhat powdery and chewy, which made them a little difficult to swallow. I will probably not make this a part of my regular diet, but at least I can say I have eaten the eyes of a fish!
Today began my first day as a college teacher (sounds so grown up)! Teaching 18-20 year olds is very different from the elementary children I am used to. I had a wonderful day and really enjoyed getting to know my students. One of them did have to tell me to speak slower and I know that will be a daily struggle for me. I can already tell that I will be spending more time lesson planning than I ever have before, but I know that is what it will take for me to be a great teacher.
I have received so many heart warming emails and want to thank each of you for all your prayers and encouraging words. I want to assure each of you that God is at work in a mighty way in this country. Doors are opening and hearts are becoming more and more receptive to Him! Continue to pray for the Chinese people who have a heart for Him and are striving each day to share His grace and love with their countrymen. In closing I want to share a verse with you that I came across this week during my quiet time. I am currently doing a study on the Epistles and read a verse in Ephesians that is so familiar to me, yet speaks to my heart in a different way each time I read it. "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10
Know that God works in a special and unique way in the lives of those who are His children. Be encouraged by this verse and know that God is at work in you and all around you and has a very specific purpose for your life. It doesn't matter if you are 8 or 88, He is still at work and has paved the way for you to fulfill the ministry He has for you!

No comments: